Then and now Total Australian wine exports to the end of March 2017 amounted to $2.3 billion, a 10 per cent increase on the previous 12 months. The average price (bottled and bulk) also grew, by 4 per cent, to $2.98 a litre: the fourth successive year of growth. The volume was 769 million litres, […]
Judges and books “Many people ‘don’t judge a book by its cover’.” It’s a (part) well-known saying and in this case was used by Liz Lee in an article on ABC Rural by Isabella Pittaway. Ms Lee works for market research firm Wine Intelligence (WI) and was commenting on consumers’ buying habits, the crux being […]
Roy report The latest Roy Morgan report on Australian alcohol consumption says $14.5 billion was spent in the off-premise sector in 2016. The supermarkets and their associated retail chains accounted for about 75 per cent of sales. The remaining 25 per cent was made up of independents and pub/hotel bottle shops. The mighty Dan’s raked […]
Ashley Ratcliff, a 14-year veteran of Yalumba, has resigned to follow his own path. Ratcliff is not dissatisfied. He says: “I was given the opportunity to commence a wonderful and exciting journey with one of the greatest wine companies in the world… Yalumba. Starting in a viticulture position, I moved on to managing the Oxford […]
Stop, thief YPB Group bills itself as a brand protection and customer engagement solutions company. It is listed on the Australian Securities Exchange. At the time of writing, shares traded at 18 cents, with the 52-week high being 40 cents and the low 13.5 cents. YPB is rather pleased with itself this week as its […]
The editor’s note from The Conversation, August 9:
“Australia as a whole has become wealthier in recent decades, but this has also come with a marked increase in wealth inequality. With the poorest 40 per cent of the population effectively having no wealth at all, and the top 1 per cent having at least 15 per cent of the nation’s wealth.”
This reminded me of walking into my local Dan Murphy’s. A huge section of the store – maybe 40 per cent, maybe not as much – is taken up with wines that are economically priced. There is a lot of talk about trading up, single sites, premium and icon wines, but at the end of the day there is more than enough fine wine for the 1 per cent, and more than enough cheap wine for the 40 per cent, providing they have enough spare cash to buy it.
A report on Radio National’s breakfast show by Cathy Van Extel on August 9 was titled,“Australian wine industry questions integrity of wine ratings”.
“In an increasingly competitive wine market, retailers and producers are heavily promoting ratings from wine critics in an effort to influence consumers. But there’s growing concern within the industry about the integrity of these wine scores.”
Bacon-flavoured chianti: The winemakers and grape growers of Tuscany are complaining about the amount of wild boar and deer to be found in vineyards. Despite the Italians’ love of hunting and blasting the intruders on a regular basis, the furry critters are breeding faster than they can be shot and eaten. Fencing is one way […]